So many of us are discovering that we have food intolerances these days, so here’s a little recipe for those of you who can’t eat dairy.
1 large baking apple (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
3 tbsp water
1 tsp allspice
2 tbsp sunflower or peanut oil, plus extra for oiling (if using)
225g plain white or wholewheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
40g wheat germ
25g fresh raspberries
25g fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
6 tbsp maple syrup
175ml apple juice
1. Place the sliced apple and the water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and stir in half of the allspice, then cover the pan and simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 – 20 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat and cool. Transfer the apple mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Lightly oil a 12 cup muffin pan with a little sunflower oil, or line the pan with muffin cases.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and the remaining allspice into a mixing bowl, then stir in the wheatgerm.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the raspberries, strawberries, maple syrup, remaining oil, pureed apple and apple juice together. Add the fruit mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir until combined. Do not over-stir.
5. Divide the mixture evenly between the cups so they are about two thirds full. Transfer to a heated oven (190 degrees (170 fan)) and bake for 25 minutes or until risen and golden.
6. Removed from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.